View Single Post
TheJason,
Quick advice: use a powerful enough soldering iron (this was my first mistake) because a weak iron will just have all it's heat sucked out without being able to melt the solder on the joints.
Another advice: you will have to cut part of the shielding away. If you use a tip that's thin enough to fit between the port and the shielding it will probably be to thin to properly heat the joints anyway - not enough heat transfer.

Estel, Lazart and others who've successfully done this. I need help. Re-soldered the port today, but it acts wierd.
Symptoms:
- when plugged into the PC the screen lights up, but the mass storage vs pc suite mode dialog doesn't come up.
- when plugging a wall charger in - it starts charging but disconnects by itself in 1-2 minutes. Then, without any interference, starts charging again, and so on. In about 10-15 minutes it disconnects/reconnects each 2-3 seconds.
- tested the connections with a tester: first plugged a USB cable (for ease of access) and it shows me that the 3 pins that count each connects to only one pin at the other end - no bridging. The two data pins have no contact with the cable shielding (ground) and the +5v has about 10 ohms resistance towards ground. Also there's direct contact between two leftmost pins and base (see picture http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/...-overview2.jpg).
I'm very frustrated. I'm afraid that some components might have been damaged by heat during the operation. Has anybody encountered this? Any ideas why this might happen?