View Single Post
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I regret to have to say that the lack of stability and, above all, usability was my main reason for switching too... from Linux back to Windows.
Interesting. I'd like to know more. My experience is quite the opposite. I've found Linux (the kernel) to very stable, even on non-LTS releases. I can't say the same about Linux userspace but that's another story. I recently ditched KDE after many years due to random KWin crashes on a so-called stable release. The beauty with Linux is you easily swap it out for something else. Some will call it fragmentation but that's what I love most about it. I switched to i3 and now I have a stable system again and haven't looked back.

As for Windows, well it's no longer unstable per se as it used to be years ago. It's improved tremendously in this department but one thing they haven't fixed is the need to run a full reboot after making changes to userspace. I've noticed in Windows 10 that they are now quite aggressive in automatically rebooting overnight after updates have been installed. I came to work this morning and found my Windows PC had rebooted without my permission. Although I didn't lose any work, it took me about 10 minutes to set everything up again the way I like it. That to me is as good as a system crash.

I realise that the reboot after update behaviour is probably overrideable and may have even been configured by my company's update policy but the fact of the matter is that it's bad design. Meanwhile, Linux is gaining features like kGraft and kpatch which enable live kernel patching and Windows is stuck in the 1970s with reboots due to changes in userspace.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Last edited by wicket; 2017-09-26 at 04:23.