View Single Post
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Eh?

MartinK helpfully provided, in the very post you quoted, a link to the OpenRepos modRana page where you could have checked it yourself!
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
I think this may actually be legitimate confusion about version numbers. The version 0.52.3 that handaxe asks about is mentioned in a post from last month, but doesn't appear in openrepos list of rpms or in the changelog there. I suspect it's just a typo in MartinK's post -- and that v. 0.53.3 was meant -- rather than a version that appeared and slipped away some time in the past year.
Oh, right - that's a typo, the current latest modRana version series is indeed 53.x.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
If you are asking about the Maemo incarnation, well, it seems to have been abandoned The last update was on 10-Oct-2015 (again easily checkable).
Well, not really - I just haven't got to test some of the new stuff on my N900, which I see as a precondition to releasing a new version. Once I get to that I'll also release a new version for the N900.

Of course it is indeed not an easy task to write an application that works on the N900 (Python 2.5 & GTK2), mobile platforms like Sailfish OS (Python 3.4 & Qt 5.2/Silica) and modern Linux distros like Fedora (Python 3.6 & Qt 5.7/QtQuick Controls).

So it might happen I'll drop support for the N900 at some time in the future, but not yet as AFAIK there are still quite a few N900 users around.

Actually I guess modRana might be the last actively maintained navigation software for the N900.

Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
Whatever the version, though, I'm always happy to see this app get updates, and I'm eager to try out the local OSM scout server option sometime soon(TM). Looks to be easier to manage local maps than in the N900 version of modrana -- I'm never quite sure I'm downloading what I need there. (Wish Scout Server had US units in addition to Metric and Imperial, but what's a fractional mm in a mile between friends, I guess. I'm not surveying, here.)
Yeah, it's always quite hard to make sure to download all you need to use tiled online maps offline. BTW, even with OSM Scout Server the tiles still have the same projection so if you have internet connectivity at the given moment you can use the SOM Scout Server layers together with online layers, such as a weather forecast layer, traffic situation layer, etc.

BTW, I plan to add support for the other OSM Scout Server features (POI lookup & routing) quite soon (TM).

Also in the future there might be an online repository (or even a network of repositories) for the OSM Scout Server data - kinda similar to the existing one for the Mona offline routing data. That should make using OSM Scout Server as data provider for modRana (and Poor Maps & others) much easier.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post: