View Single Post
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by malkavian View Post
And the world could end, but it is not predicted yet. Free sowftware community could then fork last GPLv2 version and do reverse engineering for the servers.
Did this ever happen? Even though... people would still use the official closed version (they probably wouldn't even notice the change - it would update automagically on their mobiles) or move to other WhatsCrapp... It always worked this way for hype-based apps.

Originally Posted by malkavian View Post
The actual situation is that most of the people use Whatsapp and only we, the geeks using other things... Having an open protocol wich can be implemented wherever you like and with promises of good privacy protection is great and much better than actual situation.
I agree with javispedro herem that is nothing better than previous situation... "better" and "for geeks" would be own hosted and well protected+encrypted xmpp server. Unless your definition of geek is close to "person who follows all technical hypes regardless of whether the hype is clever or stupid", i.e. "sheep".

edit: i don't want to seem rude or attacking, that's just bitter truth based on my experiences

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post: