View Single Post
Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
I bought my girlfriend a Nokia Play 360º (MD-50W) speaker for Christmas to replace some cute-but-broken laptop speakers she was using before. Sure, it's expensive, but it's also aesthetically pleasing, highly portable and has great sound* and surprisingly long battery life.

All was well until last night when the speaker went BASE jumping from the top of the fridge. Tragically it was unable to open its parachute in time, and it landed on the concrete floor with one of those expensive sounds that electronics often make when they decelerate too rapidly...

It still pairs with Bluetooth devices fine, but something is rattling around inside it (a screw? a bit of plastic?) and it feels/sounds as though the speaker cone is moving around inside the box when you move the unit. It still produces sound, but super-quiet and very sad compared to the glorious apartment-filling sound before.

As it still basically works, I'm wondering if it's just that the speaker cone has something in physical contact with it in a way which is preventing it from moving freely, i.e. I might be able to fix it myself.

Thus far, I have been unable to find:
  • any way of disassembling the device (no carefully hidden screws or whatever)
  • any repair/disassembly documentation or discussion on the web
  • any help from Nokia whatsoever; surprise, surprise, although when I called Nokia Canada, Option 1 was for if I had any question about the Nokia Lumia series (I did have some questions, but I decided not to ask as I don't think it was the polite type of question they're hoping for) Whoever took my call hadn't even heard of the Play 360º and kept referring to it as a phone even after I described it as a speaker/accessory. Disappointing, and yet utterly unsurprising.

Anyone have any ideas on how I could take a Nokia Play 360º apart without destroying it?

* great sound == it makes us happy and is good for listening to a few tunes; if you are an audiophile, please don't bother telling me why this speaker is worthless and only a tube amp can truly re-create the blah blah blah etc.

Last edited by shallimus; 2012-02-15 at 15:51.