Thread: GPD Pocket
View Single Post
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Disclaimer:
It's been a long time since I used Fedora, so what I'll write here will probbaly be outdated or very generic.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
[*]Booting up and shutting down takes Bloody Ages™ (read: about three minutes), with absolutely zero feedback during the process, just a black screen, so you have no idea whether you pressed the button or WTF is going on.
Sounds like the common unexplicably dumb decision of Systemd devs to not show any messages by default.

Open /etc/systemd/system.conf and activate the entry for ShowStatus=yes (remove the # at the start)!
This should at least give you useful messages during boot and shutdown. Most likely there's some service that's not starting/stoping correctly and waiting for the default 90sec timeout.

[*]Closing the lid does not suspend the device and there is no setting to make it so.
Try opening /etc/systemd/logind.conf and activate: HandleLidSwitch=suspend

[*]The screen scale factor can be set only to 100%, where everything is so tiny that you need a magnifying glass to read the menus and 200%, where most dialog boxes do not fit on the screen. Nothing in between.
I think I remember that's a Gnome-specific problem. So nothing the GPD Pocket can be blamed for.
btw: In Xfce you can set finer PPI values.

[*]No sensible package manager, like Debian's Synaptic, only a very high level "Software". That is a major issue for me. I tried to find one but no luck. There is "Gnome Packages" in the repo that is utterly useless. Whatever I do, it just presents an empty window, despite having sources set correctly.
Under Fedora there's always yum, which pretty much works like apt in Debian.

Having suffered the above, I was tempted to install Ubuntu on it. I found an "official" Ubuntu ISO (16.04.1-desktop-amd_0809_2) and tried it live. It shows up sideways which does not inspire confidence to actually install it.
Well, there's a portrait display (it says so in its EDID) build into the device in landscape direction, because all the good displays of that size are in portrait mode (smartphone displays). The OS knows nothing about the display being built-in "the wrong way".
So at some point you have to rotate it in software. This is nothing a generic install medium should do by default. This can neither be blamed on GPD nor on Ubuntu.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post: