View Single Post
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I never noticed all the difficulties Palm seems to be having with a community (or the other way round), probably because the Pre is too far away from what I want a phone to be to ever enter my radar.

Reading the blog posts you guys linked to makes me smile. We did have our fights with Nokia, yes, but it was never that bad, was it? More important, as somebody who came here in 2006 I really have to say that it got a lot, really a lot better since then. We should all bookmark those Palm-articles as reminders. - Somebody at Nokia is doing a good job working with the community. Right?

Oh, about NDAs:
I'm not sure. Really. I'm not sure how NDAs and "community" go together. I can live with (or maybe would support) single developers signing NDAs so they can have a new release in time with a product launch or play with unknown hardware features. Yes I know, developers are members of the community, but still it's a different thing for me. You'd have to be very carful not to lose all the openness we have because, with NDAs in place and enough people signing them, you don't need it any longer. (Nokia could have chosen not to make Maemo5 SDKs public but have all current Maemo developers sign NDAs. Would have been easier.)

So I just advise to be very careful about this... It's not a bad thing as such, but it could have unwanted consequences.

Last edited by benny1967; 2009-06-15 at 17:17.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post: