View Single Post
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by glabifrons View Post
The mention of a java version of skype (above) made me think about the possibilities of java on the new platform.
There are two areas of possible interest with Java on the tablets:
  1. A platform for developing new applications.
  2. Running pre-existing applications.

The latter doesn't really interest me (although I expect middleware like equinox to work without modification; and... it does). However:

I've played with Jalimo on my N800 and it's nice, but not being hildonized, it can't do what I need (freemind without a keyboard for one example,
...makes me think you want the latter. Certainly there's auto-Hildonisation for SWT apps but, IIRC, Freemind is Swing. Running the Swing to SWT port under Freemind might provide promising results, though.

Has anyone heard any news at all about whether or not Nokia is (finally) willing to license Jazelle (Java directly on the OMAP3 hardware) for Maemo 5/RX-51?
No, I've not heard anything (I haven't checked, presumably OMAP3430 still supports Jazelle?)

This could really make it a fantastically versatile and powerful platform... imagine hardware accelerated Android (just one example),
Agreed (on the platform front[1]), however since Android uses its own Dalvik bytecode and VM - which has already been optimised for quick execution in a low-resource environment, and is incompatible with Java bytecode - Jazelle would make no difference to Android performance.

[1] Remote debugging. Code hot swap. IDEs like IntelliJ, Eclipse, NetBeans. Rich class libraries. <drool/>