View Single Post
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Ariadeno View Post
What is the path I need to take nowadays to create apps for Fremantle? The C++ language shouldn't be a problem for me as I will pick it up since I have experience with OOP languages like C#, Java and Objective-C but I need some advice on the use frameworks. There are some forum posts/wiki pages on setting up Qt but I think they are outdated. Things must have been changed while I was away from TMO.
Well, currently Qt no longer supports Maemo in any manner, but the SDKs for Qt4 (which do support Maemo) can still be found. In particular, this site:

ftp://ftp.informatik.hu-berlin.de/pu...l.no/QT/qtsdk/

has most of the Qt4 SDKs (I just checked, and they are still there).

If you are planning to go the Qt route for writing Fremantle apps, the SDK gives you a great head-start: it comes loaded with dozens of simple example apps for the N900, and a wealth of documentation.

One caveat: as Nokia's servers have been down for a long time now, and Qt itself no longer provides on-line support for Qt4 SDKs, you'll need to get the version of the SDK installer that has everything built-in to it. So, the "offline" installer is the one you want. Moreover, version 1.1.1 was the last version of the SDK that had the Maemo toolchain built-in, so you'll want to get that one. So, for example, if you want to run the SDK on a Windows machine, you'd choose the file:

Qt_SDK_Win_offline_v1_1_1_en.exe

Similar choices go for Mac or Linux, just replacing "Win" with a different identifier.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post: