View Single Post
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I disagree. The form factor is just perfect for a portable device. Laptops are too big and heavy, phones nowadays lack a proper keyboard (and are just a tad too small, unless you go down the Dave999 route and like holding a brick to your ear).

Unlike the posters above, I love the detachable phone idea. In fact I wonder why this idea has not been commonplace by now. Modern mobile phones are hugely overpowered, comparable to laptops or even some desktops. Most of that power is simply wasted. Using it to run a decent OS on a decent screen with a decent keyboard sounds like a no-brainer to me. The advantage is that you can keep the phone in the pocket and the rest in the bag and slide them together where and when convenient for you. Start typing your report on the phone while standing in the queue, then board the bus/train/plane, sit down, pull the rest of the unit from the bag, slide the phone in and continue typing. Arrive at the office, plug the phone into the big monitor, voila, your work is already there, in beautiful Technicolor. At the end of your shift, take the phone with you and you do not have to worry about a) not having the necessary files with you if you get snowed in and are forced to work from home and b) someone else making off with your files while you are away from your desk.

That of course assumes that the phone is the sole brain and storage of the entire unit, with the rest being basically a docking station. That does not seem to be the case here, unless I misunderstood. I agree that the phone should run a different OS though, something more suitable for a laptop form factor.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: