View Single Post
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by Win7Mac View Post
[...]Council being disbanded.[...]. Alternatively, a working group could be established, by election or simply by volunteering. Board doesn't really come into consideration here, does it?

OTOH, the issue could as well be resolved by clearly defining/limiting Councils' responsibilities in a way that it cannot force board into anything they don't support, at least not anything that could affect their legal liability.
[...]Basically keep things as they are (Council being entity of MC eV [joerg]NO, It Never Been. You implemented an entity you called "council" into your e.V. bylaws, that doesn't mean you owned the Maemo Council by doing so [/joerg]), and just clearly define/limit Councils' responsibilities in a way that it cannot force board into anything that could affect their legal liability.
...that you made up.
Again, it's not about illegal activity. That is pretty well covered by the law. It's about legal activity that board has to show liable for. Like any business action.
[emphasis in bold in all 3 quotes by joerg]

What now? Do you maybe make up your mind eventually? It's clearly ONLY about legal responsibility of board for their actions, and that nobody can force them to do anything illegal. Other than that they indeed should FEEL forced/obliged to do exactly what MAEMO COUNCIL tells them to do (again, a 1000th time: if it's not illegal). Since that's exactly the only purpose of such e.V. And it doesn't matter if those in board feel they want to "support" this particular action (aka: they think it's a great idea), since it's Maemo Community to decide, not board, not any general assembly of any e.V., heck not even Maemo council. It's exclusive right of Maemo Community as represented by Maemo Council to decide what to do. It's board's responsibility to check if it's legal to do this. It's NOT board's responsibility to override community's decisions.

The Maemo Community didn't ask for a new better 'government', the one we had (and afaik still have, and which isn't a government actually) just works great (kudos to the recent council btw). And there's no need for any paradox nonsense like abolishing Maemo Council and replacing it by a task force group of elected volunteers (see 1st quote above), since that's already exactly what the existing Maemo Council already IS: an elected group of volunteers, elected by the only legitimate electorate Maemo Community as defined in maemo council's election rules. And it's proven to work, and got established by quite a number of people investing much effort and thinking into designing / defining the way it works.

What maemo community needs is an entity to do the business bookkeeping, noting else, nothing beyond.

Honestly, you shouldn't argue about stuff you have not got sorted on your own yet. OR maybe just write it in (original?) German wording once, so we make sure my poor understanding of English isn't the root cause of a big misunderstanding here. For me you sound pretty much paradox in the above three posts I quoted.

And I don't even want to know were your spirit of "board is evil, we need to subjugate it" weird notion is arisen from.
I tell you nevertheless, also to make sure you don't again turn around my statements as if *I* was the one with that notion: No Sir, it's exactly you who pushed in that direction from very beginning, even badmouthing about council in private query to me on IRC, which made me wonder what's wrong with you since at that time I actually been part of this council.

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post: