View Single Post
Posts: 7 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Eugene, OR, USA
In an earlier post I suggested that distinctly new social behaviors resulting from mobile-device technology awaits applications based upon users' physical location, i.e., finding the location of assenting users' devices.

Re: Whither the revolution?

We should not forget that social networks are the drivers of revolutions (to say the very least). Clearly, Nokia makes fine stand-alone NITs, like my N800. But all current devices fall short in a key social feature necessary to drive a (capital "R") revolution: mobile device interconnectivity. By that I mean enabling two or more arbitrary NITs to selectively connect without requiring intermediating servers, routers and so on.

Nokia and Apple products are quite designerly, but it is more than mere rumor that people are inclined to connect in the local, physical space (as opposed to the dated concept of Internet space). Nokia, polished designs are not sufficient. Make them connectable, networkable. Do that well and you will witness a true Revolution!
Without effort I can think of a half-dozen new and compelling applications that devolve from location-aware devices. One of which could pay for the reduced cost of the attendant devices' broad market penetration and requisite infrastructure. Obviously, a free community-wide, wireless system's infrastructure has to be subsidized either by taxes (the community pays) or by commercial applications out of which are derived beneficial public applications (such as, but not limited to, community mesh networks).

Objectively, it is fascinating to me that Nokia, with all its technical prowess, masterly design sensitivities and market presence, apparently can't see the forest for the (individual) trees. (Clearly, this viewpoint derives from the industry's historical predisposition to view the comms device as a personal [individual's] fashion gadget.)

An alternative view -- -- is that individuals tend to spontaneously form dynamical communities through their (often fleeting) interactions. By adding a new multimedic mode to human interactions, we increase the dimensionality of possible social phenomena. That is, we add an entirely new space to social interaction and, magically, the resulting unexploited space (a pre-ecosystem) fosters an explosion of innovation.

Anyone interested in further information, refs., biblio, etc., need only message me.