View Single Post
Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Me and a friend decided after some researching to buy the Ainol Aurora. Here I will gather some impressions/thoughts, perhaps display a few photos off the device and maybe a video.

I received it this Monday, so I've had a little time to play with it.
The good:
  • IPS Screen
  • HDMI
  • USB OTG
  • Some physical buttons(great for comic/book reading)

"Neutral":
  • Performance
  • Build quality(despite all-plastics, it does feel fairly solid)
  • Boot up time
  • Graphics card

The bad:
  • Feels somewhat cheap(stemming from the all-plastic construction, probably )
  • Screen bezel not flush with the rest of the chassis

I don't use the stock rom; it contains a lot of chinese apps and is actually pretty sluggish. I'm using Feiyumod: http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/2942...-mod-by-feiyu/ (version 0515)

Impressions:
Very, very light tablet. Unfortunately to the point where it feels cheap. Guess that's to be expected though(it is cheap).
I turn it on and immediately notice that the screen is pretty bright. I try out the brightness slider but the effect is rather restricted. Feels like the control goes from 75% to 100%, rather than 2% to 100%. Anyway, have a look around the menus and notice that the ROM is pretty clean. The launcher is a little slow though, but I've already decided I won't use it anyway so that doesn't matter.

Open up Android market/Play store, enter my account details and start browsing. Since I've already had a Android device, I have already purchased some apps/games so I start downloading stuff.
It manages about three concurrent store downloads before it starts to slow down, so I don't really think it's that slow. Beginning with Titanium Backup, I remove some of the preinstalled stuff I will never use, and freeze some system apps that for me is of no importance. The tablet doesn't get any speed improvements though.

Most stuff on the tablet works great, but there's one caveat if you'd like to game on it: It has the Mali 400 GPU. Not that it is a bad GPU, but it isn't that supported despite the fact that Samsung Galaxy SII has one. Common games, like Angry Birds, show up of course. SimCity Deluxe does not however, which is a shame since it's probably better on a tablet compared to a phone.

General "smooth"-ness is good, even more so when I close all apps. ICS seems to work differently compared to Gingerbread, and lands somewhere inbetween Maemo and Gingerbread regarding task managment. You of course have the background processes, like IRC clients. Then there's also a task switcher, where apps along with screenshots of them show up. I think some are still running, but there's no way to know for sure.
Closing them all does speed up the wakeup from sleep, as well as unlock. One weird thing I've found is that the miniature screenshots in Google Play lags when I scroll them. Otherwise, there's little to no lag in menus and apps.

Overall, it's not a bad tablet. I'd say you certainly get what you pay for. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who will exclusively game on it, since (somewhat common) games are missing. For everything else, it's brilliant. The IPS screen is not as good as my iPhone's, but theres some DPI differences so that might be it. Also, the IPS screen is definitely worth getting. The price difference is so small I don't think it makes sense to buy the Elf.

Overall, I'd rate it 7.5/10. With a little lower price, it had been an 8.

Here you can find some photos: http://imgur.com/a/Hh1Qv
(Don't be fooled by the Bluetooth icon. You need a USB Bluetooth adapter for it to work)

Might do a video demoing some stuff in a bit. Do suggest stuff to test, and I'll try to work something out.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ToJa92 For This Useful Post: