View Single Post
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jer006 View Post
I think one of those was phone orientation, I guess the idea I had in mind was to turn it over and automatically switch to silent profile or something along those lines.
Sorry for long delay in responding due to various issues...

Thanks for the example. I can see how that can be useful. I'll add that to things to investigate.

The default rule worked really well in locale as it always set the phone back to a default state when no rule was in effect.

Regarding overlapping rules, would you enforce the logic that only a single rule/profile could be in effect at any given point in time? Does this really need to be enforced, ignoring this would potentially remove some of the complexity...
Not enforcing that rule might remove some of the complexity, but would probably raise some other issues. At least for the predictability of what rule is activated for user.

With ranged times a default rule is quite welcome, and at least solves the issue of having to keep state for what profile to restore. But ranged times are still more complex than only start time. With start times the algorithm becomes very simple: find the nearest start time and wait until it's reached. With ranges it becomes more complex: find nearest start or end time, wait until it's reached and then find out if time is inside any of the ranges. If inside several ranges, choose profile to use. If not inside any ranges, then use the default rule.

So I how I see the negatives:
- More complex implementation
- More possibilities for bugs
- Unclear operation with overlapping ranges

For me it doesn't seem worth it right now, just to avoid making a new rule. Making the rules is quite fast done, and as they're meant to automate common happenings they should not change often.

That's how I feel at the moment anyway, but all these suggestions and ideas are very welcome - they brew in my subconscious and when I advance with the application they might become very handy.

Thinking about this, the ranges and default rule are a possibility in the future. But ProfileMatic must have more comprehensive conditions (location based conditions etc.) before that makes sense.