View Single Post
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
what that means??
That google users can only communicate with other google users in the near future, whereas they can now communicate with every other jabber-user on other networks and services. For example, I run my own server on my own domain, and up till now it was perfectly possible to communicate with GTalk-users.

To paint the picture: it's like when from now on you can only send and receive e-mail from other GMail-users with your GMail-account. You cannot send e-mail to @outlook.com or any other e-mail service anymore.

Also note that XMPP is an open and free protocol allowing for cross-service communication, very akin to e-mail. Google, Facebook, Apple and Whatsapp all use this protocol, but don't allow cross-service communication.

Google is really going down-hill lately. The "Don't do evil"-label has been dropped long time ago, and now their services are just as vendor-locked as microsoft's, facebook's, twitter's etc.

I stay very clear of google. Not only for privacy reasons, but also for the continuity of their services.

As for XMPP, there a lot of free services available which DO support federation. jabber.org, duckduckgo.com to name two.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post: