View Single Post
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by shawnjefferson View Post
I wonder how many of those 5483 have logged in in the last 6 months?
My bet: about 90. And a few only came back because they got an e-mail.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
the multiple account thing is somewhat legacy; Maemo.org started as Nokia sponsored/owned developer forum while TMO started as ITT, an independent Nokia-tablets-forum that was later given/donated/sold to Nokia. At some point in time these were brought together but the 2-account-dichotomy persisted.
Nailed it, with slight touch-ups.

Maemo is a hogpodge of services, all of which were on separate machines under Nokia's run. Garage & autobuilder tited, but separate systems, the main site & blogs were another (under Midgard CMS), wiki, bugs, SQLdb, all their own things, and TMO/ITT is vBulletin based. All started separately and got blended together over time as the staff at Nokia / Nemien saw fit. Reggie was employed by Nokia to bring in and run his forum under their domain (TMO vs ITT), but the content was always his. It wasn't until he donated TMO to HiFo that it all came legally under one roof.

Techstaff might shed a light on this, would it be difficult or impossible to somehow harmonize these things...
I know that currently the "All things Maemo" are hosted on a virtual cluster composed of 7 differenf VM's, loosely coupled together.
The 7 VMs emulate what was the reality. It was a hassle just getting the systems up and running again after the hand off from Nokia. Techstaff currently lacks the helpers needed to keep some of the basics even running (bugtracker/Midgard maintainers especially), yet alone improve on them. There are reasons for that, but suffice to say, I do not see the above being an easily accomplished task. Changing the voting subsystem (which is just a set of php scripts in a folder or two) is more manageable.

This is calculated by the voting engine based on the given electorate criteria; in this case you had to have a Maemo account with 10 or more karma to be eligible. It well might be possible that somebody has only Maemo account and no TMO account at all, I think.
Correct. One need not have a TMO account at all to vote. In fact, the only requirement is a maemo.org account with sufficient Karma. The voting scripts simply follow the rules setup by the community for elections. Don't like them? Change them (the rules, then the scripts, in that order). There's a process for Council to do so upon community request.

Actually the set of voters that received the mailing might contain some "dead/unused" accounts, people no longer desiring to have anything to do with Maemo.
There are also several that bounce as undeliverable, and more that go to abandoned mailboxes, I'm sure. We had several in the cycles I helps with where people complained of not getting a token only to find the e-mail address was some old thing they don't use/check/maintain anymore.

Really, the main reason to have any qualification at all is to prevent multi-voting. Find a solution that allows each person to vote only once, provides verifiable and transparent results, get community buy-in, and update the rules via referendum. Simple? With only ~80 people voting, you just need about 40 people to agree to it and you're good.

With the rate of decline, we have about 2 years before the only ones voting will be the candidate(s) anyway. At that point, who needs a voting system?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post: