View Single Post
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by stezz View Post
== about community ==

I kept reading posts and posts where it is clear that the assumption is that this is the only community and the only type of community possible ever. There is nothing else than TMO and if you want to be really a real geek you have to be in TMO (poor guys in Ubuntu forums).

There are other kinds of people out there. Fanboys, critics, other geeks, hardcore developers, gurus, kids that will like to play with something new, dads that want to make a gift to their wives.

These guys will come here and will be scared away by the same guys that go to jollausers forum and feel pity for these poor guys.

So please try to stop a moment and think how big is the world and how many kind of persons exist.
what you're saying is basically "there are many communities, like 'sailfish devels that came from ubuntu' and 'sailfish devels that are from commercial background' and so on" and you assume they would get scared away here since they are not related to maemo (or whatever is the exact definition you are using to characterize this forum's members) and since the users in here are a pretty unbearable and unfriendly bunch. Thus - you say - all those groups need a different place to meet which is not "infested" by the existing community of scary jolla fans in here, which is what you plan to provide.

My (our?) view on things differs: we welcome everybody to join in here, tmo is open to everybody, we are NOT afraid to grow, and we believe in ONE FOSS COMMUNITY (NOT talk.maemo.org community) which loves to meet in one place when it comes to a certain definite topic (usually the place where others already are, that's established and "on-topic", where the knowledge is readily available). This place is already there: it's this very forum as of now - for maemo and meego and nemo and sailfish topic (it has it all: the forum infra, the users/devels, the broad deep comprehensive knowledge base aka archive [and related wiki]).

Obviously there actually is just one separate and different "community" which doesn't fit into this FOSS definition, and that's Jolla's customers and I couldn't agree more that those need a new forum run and ruled by jolla and that some of the members of that group actually wouldn't feel comfortable here, particularly since this forum isn't the direct channel to Jolla helpdesk your customers expect you to provide to them - tmo is community driven and thus exactly the right thing for a FOSS community but definitely NOT for a corporate customer helpdesk.

Oh, and maybe it's again time for my quarterly excuse: I'm often sounding harsh or even insulting, sorry that's because of my poor english writing skills, I'm not at all evil-minded and I plea for forgiveness from those who felt intimidated by my style.

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-12-11 at 11:02.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post: