View Single Post
Originally Posted by buchanmilne View Post
Yes.

You seem to be using XBMC wrong. You need to tell it what kind of media you have in different directories, and then let it scan your media, extracting meta-data it can (e.g. ID3 etc.) and using scapers to match names to content so that it can pull meta-data from websites that provide APIs to do so.

Then, instead of you being limited to browsing content in the directory structure you have used to store the files, you can browse content by many different methods, from XBMC itself, from the uPNP/DLNA sharing it does (e.g. natively in the media player on N900, file manager in N900, from other computers on your network), and easily access it (I assume) from this app.

if you can't browse your music by:
-Artist
-Album
-Genre
-Year
etc., then please go to xbmc.org, and come back when you can.
browsing by artist/album/genre/year (the scanning media files method) is not good for me since many songs i have do not include correct id3 tags if at all. This is why i am using the folders/files method. All my media files are stored in an organized directory structure and that is the only way i can use it.

Using this method is not "wrong" since folder/files browsing is supported by xbmc - i meant by asking if i'm using it right to the xbmc client itself.

Last edited by impeham; 2012-04-11 at 14:58.