View Single Post
Old thread, I know, but this seemed like the correct place for this info.

Originally Posted by caco3 View Post
If the resistance between the data pins is over 200 Ohms, the device will not detect the chanrger as a high current source and therefore limit the current to 100mA. That the current it is allowed to draw from a PC USB port without requesting more power.
Since most wall chargers do not yet follow this new rule, they will only charge very slowly. This is the case with most wall chargers I tested. My solution was to use an USB extension cable and shorten the data wires. This doesn’t hurt at all, even you still would connect it to a computer.
Thanks for the info on the N9 charging requirements.

I purchased a portable mobile phone charger (battery based) and tried plugging in the USB cable. I got the standard message "Not enough power from the USB in order to charge the device".

Thankfully I found this topic.

It seems the Samsung Galaxy Tab also suffers from this issue (or also has the stringent standards compliance).

I have found some cables/adapters to resolve the minimum resistance charging issue. This may be useful for those of us who don't want to have to solder our own cables:

1) Powertraveller Galaxy Tab Cable (Tested, this works)

2) Samsung Galaxy Tab Adapter Wall Charger USB Plug on eBay (not tested)

When using the above cables between the standard USB cable and the charger or portable mobile device charger, normal charge times should be achievable.

I hope that information is useful to someone.

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to caa For This Useful Post: