View Single Post
Thanks for Your appreciation . As for running native partition vs loopback image - there is *much* benefit of doing so. Currently, You're not gaining (almost) anything over keeping image file in vfat. If You actually have files on partition, natively, You're benefiting running whole (Easy) Debian natively (chroot = native). Getting files out/to loopback image is second biggest bootleneck, next only to low amount of RAM.
---

In my personal opinion, "default" loopback-image configuration of Easy Debian is derivative from times, when repartitioning was "black magic", and qole wanted to save end-users need of doing it. In addition to that, even now, end user can try Easy Debian without changing anything in their filesystem, which is quite big benefit.

Honestly, though, repartitioning through GUI solutions is now trivial for everyone, both ones that have Linux background or not. I would not use image on loopback for any "real" work on Debian programs (especially, resource hungry, like browsers)

[unrelated rant]
Have anyone else noticed, that lately, we're placing web browsers amongst most resource-hungry programs? Hell, even LibreOffice runs better than lightest, feature-complete browsers, like Chromium. Iceweasel/Firefox is such Behemot'ish cow now, that it's even not worth mentioning.

At the same time, ancient microB works blazing fast, and do render most pages well (would render everything well, if we would be able to update underlying Gecko to more recent version - without loosing any speed...). Honestly, it would be 100% full-fledged browser, if we would be able to add few small features to closed UI (+ upgrading Gecko behind it would be almost trivial).

We already know who we need to stab endlessly, for closed microB UI? Suckers, they own this code fully, haven't and won't do *anything* with it ever, yet, they can't release it due to "business reasons".[/unrelated rant]

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: