View Single Post
Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
I had to look this up:

What exactly is smart2go?
smart2go is a freeware for your mobile phone for downloading maps and street plans, and also for saving your favourite spots to then share them with your friends. But that’s not all: Explore the world with our optional, premium-brand travel guides, packed with valuable information and important tips. And our optional navigation upgrade brings you professional navigation with GPS.

Do I have to have a GPS receiver?
No, smart2go can do a lot even without a GPS receiver: high-resolution maps and street plans for countries all round the world, full of interesting locations such as restaurants, clubs and cafés; route planning; city guides (optional) and lots more besides.

But to harness the full potential of smart2go (for instance, turn-by-turn navigation with voice guidance), you will need a GPS receiver. Some mobile devices already have a receiver integrated in them, but it is also easy to connect an external GPS receiver to your mobile phone using Bluetooth.
Sounds to me like the pay functions of smart2go are what you get with the navigation kit, except you get them permanently and not for a limited time period.