View Single Post
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
Read it.
So...not only is it a four year wait...thus far...
With an initial cost of $1800 + CDN a unit.
Now they figure after people have preordered an ungodly sum...
that they should just throw more money at this sinkhole...by doing a kickstarter fund raiser?????
If I recall correctly, the plan has always been that a crowdfunding campaign would be launched after proto_v2 has been manufactured, tested and demonstrated. My understanding was that once they have demonstrated a working prototype, they would use crowdfunding to attract new customers. I could not see anything in sn0wmonster's post that suggests that the Kickstarter campaign would be used to raise more money from those of us who already made the early donation and further down payment.

I agree that 4 years is a long time to wait and I'm also disappointed that the Neo900 still hasn't arrived. Having said that, the situation is still the same... 4 years on and I'm still using my N900 because there is still no superior product on the market and nothing on the horizon. The closest thing might be chenliangchen's forthcoming "Lauta" device, but from what I read, it's going to be yet another device designed for use with an Android kernel, Android blobs and an out of date GNU userland (hello Sailfish!).

I don't know if the Neo900 will ever see the light of day, but if it does, it will be a wonderful surprise. If you're right and I'm wrong about the Kickstarter campaign and they do want more money from us early backers, then I agree with you. It would be taking the piss and I'm not sure I would send any more money their way. Once proto_v3 has been demoed and if looks like the project very close to completion, then I'd be delighted to send the remainder to complete my purchase, which by now with the 2% monthly interest accumulated on my early donation, shouldn't hit my wallet too hard.

Let's just wait and see what happens before jumping to any conclusions.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post: