View Single Post
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Now, I've been out of the loop for many months; can one of you guys please give me a summary of what's happened, what changes I could make to improve, and what would help.
This weekend I first bumped into your backupmenu application. Long story short: It worked like a charm for what I had to do; cloning one phone OS, apps and settings to another.

Couple of things that were somewhat unclear to me.

1. The phrase "hold switch" is completely new for me. So I would rather not cancel anything

2. When you choose the things you want to backup, rootfs and or /opt, it is unclear whether the amount of space needed is just for the version with compression or not. It is located right under the compression line, but for me it was unclear whether I had enough space if I chose not to use compression. It turned out really well, I had an /opt file of 1.3 Gig, but the statement was that I would need at least 2 Gig of free space on the device.

3. I decided to make my rootfs file flashable by means mentioned in post one. This also worked like a charm. Upon restoring the files, though, it was, for obvious reasons, I guess, recommended not to restore only /opt but to restore the two (rootfs and /opt) images in combination. That kind of rendered the whole image creation slightly less useful, al though I did need the initial reflash in order to have backupMenu installed.

4. I live in two countries, and own two devices, both with different keyboard layouts. I did not use the other options of backupMenu, but I could imagine it being nice if it was possible to detect differences like that and deal with them. Now I only backed up and it was easy enough to go to keyboard settings and choose the appropriate one, but for the other functionality that backupMenu has to offer, it might be less obvious how that is supposed to be done.

5. Ext4 support from the menu would be awesome to have! I missed that whole thing and only read about it after restoring the device.

Lastly: I have experimented a bit with DD myself, especially in combination with expending image size of Easy Debian and such, but after reading your comments on leaving the DD-method behind, I was wondering if you could give some pointers to the relevant threads (old method, new method), in order to learn more.

Thanks for the app! (PS. Where can I vote for this?)

Anthonie

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post: