View Single Post
Posts: 158 | Thanked: 340 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ middle of nowhere
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
As for removing module from mainboard - I found that every case I know about (including my own ones) when *removed* module ends up with broken focus (can focus only 'till some random close distance, like 15 centimeter or a meter, but not further away), involve using *metallic* things to remove module - like, broken shaving blade. Even if done *really* carefully, without any possible physical damage to module.

OTOH, when using *plastic* or other non-conductive, thin things to disable module locks, I got 100% success rate. I speculated about something getting broken due to magnets inside module interacting with metallic things, but I have no idea how it is possible. AFAIK - from post-mortem section of broken module - camera have fixed magnets in "case", and coil around part with lens, that is pushed away via little springs - calibrated current in coil created magnetic field that interacts with fixed magnets, and position lens where it should be.

I don't know how working on mobo without battery (=lens coil powered down?) inn could damage/destroy calibration of said lens and its coil But, statistic - while often lying - is damn useful, so I switched to plastic makeshift removal tools, and haven't had any problems with camera modules, since.

/Estel
You are right, the camera autofocus mechanism works like an electromagent, but i don't think that a metal screwdriver really affect those magnets, most likely you pressed on the spring and bend it down.
However i opened my dead camera module, but didn't figure out why is not working anymore:

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ryu1 For This Useful Post: