View Single Post
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Just out of curiosity. Would you think a feature of searching/browsing/obtaining the (free) book from a reader itself would be important for any of you ? So, for example, you could browse among the books available on project gutenberg, scribd or any other site you prefer and have them copied/converted to a local file in adequate format on the fly ? Possibly share ratings, check on new books ?
Of course. FBreader has the ability to grab Project Gutenberg books now, and it is very handy.

I think the way to fight Kindle is to emphasize FREE books, but also give the ability to buy books at a good price.

The text-to-speech aspect that Kindles now have is also important.

By the way, Roger S, if you are reading this thread, I got another cool voice, called Serena. She has a British accent and is very impressive. I'm relistening to Sherlock Holmes stories and it works very well.

But for the moment it appears that Nokia has flushed ebooks away, so I think we will have to turn elsewhere if we like ebooks. As has been said zillions of times now, ebook reading is just a niche.