View Single Post
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
I disagree GA.
As well you might, considering it was your idea to implement this.

We've all seen how Canola has improved because of the involvement of the end-users. We want to encourage the same type of life cycle. Maemo.org's Download section tend to just list apps and Maemo.org members (who are top tech junkies) tend to just rate the app, and that's it.
I don't disagree that Downloads isn't a particularly good place for active discussion, but creating what's basically another completely separate Downloads/Garage system just succeeds in causing a lot of problems for developers and end-users alike. Rather than working towards a one-stop-shop for everything, we've instead doubled the workload and halved the participation in each.

I'd also disagree with "top tech junkies" assessment of Downloads, a large number of people on there are nothing of the sort. Where does the official Nokia OS2008 page link (the one that's linked to from the desktop of every new tablet shipped)?

We also want to promote the developers' apps here at itT too, plus more. What's wrong with that?
FRAGMENTATION. We've got enough of it already, we don't need more. Look at the Zaurus community for why it's a bad thing. It's more of the repository mess at a different level. Promoting applications isn't bad, but creating two completely separate places for users and developers to go to is.

I hope you just don't shoot down an idea mainly because you haven't seen it working.
I'm shooting down the idea because it's a poorly considered one that was brought about with zero community discussion and no collaboration with maemo.org.

What should've happened (and should still happen, if nobody's too set on this particular idea) is somebody should've discussed this with the guys over at maemo.org (X-Fade in particular) and set up a syndication system so that the power of both Downloads/Garage and itT could be utilized to their fullest extent. Downloads and Garage for hosting, development and a centralized location for applications, and itT for discussion and lots of fun end-user interaction.

Hopefully you'll consider rectifying this.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post: