View Single Post
Originally Posted by richie View Post
A sports app I used has now been updated and insists on Google Play Services, Google has a lot to answer for!

With regards to Matrix have you seen there is a native Matrix client in openrepos here? I haven't used it myself yet, but thought it might be of help to you.
Yes, I can't help worrying about support for Android apps on SFOS, things seem to be getting worse as Android/Google gradually becomes more proprietary and more and more apps depend on Google Play Services. Support for Android apps is important for the medium-term future of SFOS, IMHO: it will be a long time before native SFOS apps can cover smartphone use beyond the basics (even allowing for the contents of OpenRepos). I don't know how much life there is in Alien Dalvik, but if adding support for current versions of TLS is possible, perhaps by adding it to microG, it would be worth it I think. In the longer term, it looks to me like Anbox or Shashlik may need to plug the gap, unless there is a sudden flurry of native SFOS app development.

As for Matriski, it is a text-only client.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pacman For This Useful Post: