View Single Post
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
nodevel, whilst I can understand and even agree with some of your sentiments, I would not see it so black and white.
Here is why:
  • With Jolla, I feel like living on the edge all the time, like hurtling at 90 mph down a narrow country lane with a 40 mph speed limit. Anything can happen at any time. Installing an unofficial release is like speeding up from 90 to 95 mph: it increases the risk but not that much.
  • With Jolla, every system update is a game of Russian roulette. Just read the posts here or on TJC after every update. My first and only black screen happened on a brand new Jolla freshly out of the box, signed in to my home network and accepted the update.
  • 2.0.2.4x is not some random build Jolla never meant for us to see. It has been released and given out with "development and community" devices. Jolla must have felt confident enough to do that, otherwise they would either not give out the devices or give them out with some older build. Or release the devices with whatever build but not make the build accessible for anyone else. In short, they could have done a lot of things but they did not deem it necessary.
  • Calling 2.0.2.4x bug reports on TJC "spam" and "useless" smacks of Dave999's style. Unless told otherwise, I assume that Jolla appreciates the reports exactly because it is a pre-early release. They even reply to some of those reports.
  • Lastly, I am not convinced that fravoccaro's problem has anything to do with 2.0.2.4x. I am not even convinced that it has anything to do with any system update, let alone an update to any specific build. He said he has rebooted a number of times after the update before the brick. I suspect his Jolla was already on the way out and the update was a red herring.

This is not to say that I would encourage people to rush into random updates. Please only do that if you are willing to accept the risk and do not do it if you need your Jolla's for anything important. But if you use them only for playing and do not mind losing your data, I don't see why not.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: