View Single Post
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
So, as some of you may have seen I've made a .deb based fanoush-boot menu installer that has support for /etc/bootmenu.d/*.item configuration (so you dont have to hand write full bootmenu.conf's anymore, and installers can put in .item's that will appear on boot menu after refresh_bootmenu.d).

I've also worked on a more GUIish Deblet installer, and I'm interested in having people test this obviously and share their experiences as I don't have a Diablo installation at home and can't test on there.

These .install files require either becomeroot or rootsh (making sudo gainroot possible):

http://trac.tspre.org/svn/deblet/tru...hinook.install <- for Chinook

http://trac.tspre.org/svn/deblet/tru...diablo.install <- for Diablo

This will drag in dependancies for the installer such as cfdisk, debootstrap, python, roxterm, zenity etc, and the boot menu installer. It will also use Diablo extras and a deblet repository (on diablo), and the usual bunch of repos in Chinook.

This will produce two icons in Utilities, "Install Bootmenu" and "Install Deblet". Install Bootmenu will start the initfs flasher in a terminal and guide you through it. It is important that you say yes to cleaning out stuff for more space, and say yes to including bootmenu.conf

WARNING: You should either have a clean initfs before installing bootmenu or have fanoush's bootmenu installed (we've seen trouble with penguinbait initfs?)

If you have other bootable systems, you can set them up by putting a /etc/bootmenu.d/some.item of this form:
/etc/bootmenu.d/*.items are on this form:

ITEM_NAME="Deblet" # Name of entry
ITEM_ID="deblet" # id if you want to autoboot sometime to this
ITEM_DEVICE="mmcblk1p2" # partition the fs is on
ITEM_MODULES="mbcache jbd ext3" # modules needed to be loaded to mount filesystem
ITEM_FSTYPE="ext3" # filesystem type
ITEM_FSOPTIONS="noatime,ro" # filesystem mount options
ITEM_LINUXRC="linuxrc.mine" # OPTIONAL. Will boot using /linuxrc.mine on the partition instead of using the usual Maemo initfs boot method (will break on non-linuxrc systems like Maemo)

It is important not to have ITEM_LINUXRC line if you use Maemo

To refresh the boot menu items, run refresh_bootmenu.d afterwards (will require reboot)

If anyone have the guts to try, they can try out running the Install Deblet as well. I've done my best to make it properly viewable on tablet screen without too many issues. I'd love some comments on how far you get, especially with the diablo .install, since it's not obvious if something is wrong with it. Deblet installer automatically adds a bootmenu item at the end of the install (remember to install bootmenu first!)

Thanks to fatalsaint for trying this out as a guinea pig at first, and thanks in advance to anyone else willing to try this out.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2008-08-22 at 11:25. Reason: Removed current bug

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post: