Thread: Goodbye
View Single Post
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Yea, just this week I got the slashed SIM of despair on my phone. Maybe I can talk my wife out of her N900 swap in my beautiful screen and keep myself in the game for a few more months.
But what do I get for myself, what do I get for her as our time on this island of stability comes to an end? I don't have $1-1.5k for a future with a Neo900 and hopes for a Maemo port.
I jumped to the N900 from a dumb phone and a Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 Linux PDA while I was still surviving on a prepaid sim and bootlegged wifi, it was a miracle for a mobile minimalist and is even better now that I have full phone and data service.
I have a Cyanogen/F-droid re-flashed tablet, but it is still android not real Debian with normal apt and the normal utilities. Certainly not the wide app/dev ecosystem we saw for Maemo/Meego, android is all about ads and scams.
The apps for the N900 are brilliant for an open OS, same with the N9 despite less big corporate support from the likes of Rovio, hacked PalmOS games, and Sygic nav.
Sure we might again see something made by a small hacker community or a Chinese low end phone ship with Linux, but how soon will we see a great flagship handheld ship with x11, apt, and a bash terminal installed?

Last edited by biketool; 2016-12-12 at 19:11.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post: