View Single Post
Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
This doesn't do the following:

1. bring the price down (you still pay $200 for the radios you don't use)
2. make the screen larger (the decrease in size from the predecessors was likely in order to make N900 more phone-like).
3. avoid the tons of disappointed with the phone functionality users.

IMO, all and every flaw, lack of functionality, drawback in the N900 is solely and entirely caused by the fact it was surgically reassigned to be a cell phone rather than the next generation NIT as we had hoped it to be.

Having a cheaper tablet/media device with the same OS would increase the user base and bring more developers, as it did for Apple, with practically zero investment in development.
If I were Nokia, I would make a N900 tablet edition without the cell radios (if it really does reduce the price by $200). Even better if they use a form factor similar to the N810 with a larger screen, but leave Maemo 5 as is. That would make development easy. Perhaps even dual SD card slots with the more space without the cell radios.

I would also make a cheaper N900 mini version like the N97 mini, at a cheaper price for those who can't afford the normal version.

Additionally, once the main bugs are sorted out, I would make a version of the N900 without the keyboard for those who don't like that. Perhaps reducing the camera if it helps to make a slimmer form factor, although if there is no difference I would leave the 5MP camera there.

This shouldn't be too difficult to make, and the same OS would be on all versions. Any of them without a SIM card would behave just like the N900 does without a SIM card (ie. no phone settings).

Perhaps there could be other versions with very little storage or smaller storage options with lower price tags, eg. 2gb, 8gb, 16gb. Perhaps that may only be reserved for the Mini variations (perhaps in other colours such as pink to attract other customers... I know women who buy a phone just because it's pink, it's true!).

Last edited by Thor; 2009-12-31 at 19:42.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Thor For This Useful Post: