View Single Post
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Lancaster, CA
Hi everyone. Been away for a few years after my n800's screen started rolling, and I got rid of it. I used a ipod touch for a few yeares but the speakers sucked! But now, I just ordered an N800 off of ebay for about $40. I'm HOPING that if it has lasted this long it will be ok. I loved my old n800 because of the speakers, mp3, fm radio, internet radio, web browsing, and rss, which is mostly what I used it for. I bought two 32gb sd cards for about $54. So I have a nice little 64GB internet tablet/media player for under $100!
My question is, do ALL of these screens fail? Or am I probably gonna be ok now? Also, I think the screen failures have to do with heat. I remember that my old one would get pretty hot in the upper right corner near the screen when I would be charging it up from a low battery and using it at the same time. But it stayed cooler if I let it charge when it was in standby. Once the battery is charged up, I could use it while plugged in without the heat problem. It seems to mainly happen when charging the battery from low battery state AND using it (having the screen on) at the same time. Another thought occurs to me. I'm wondering if I should take it apart and drill some little vent holes near the 'hotspot' to help keep it cool and protect the screen. What do you guys think?

Paul.

Last edited by paulm64; 2012-02-02 at 13:55.