View Single Post
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
Android is only successful because it's "GIVEN AWAY" to handset manufacturers and we all know how the majority of manufacturers want something for nothing, (evident by the number of patent lawsuits flying around).
Not only that, For many, Google seems the opposite of Microsoft; altruistic, hip, innovative. They can't do anything wrong, and Google is some kind of saint in company-form. They are THE alternative for Apple for people who fall for that (imho false) altruism. Giving stuff for ""free"" to end users also helps a lot, even if they actually pay with their private data...

Microsoft isn't perceived as hip, nor altruistic, nor innovative. Whether that is actually true doesn't matter.

I would be a terrible marketeer I guess. But I've hardly seen Nokia highlighting the strong points of Maemo/Meego: openess (opener than Android), privacy (Android *really* pushes you to create a Google-account, which then is used for nearly everything), mulitasking and standards-support. But perhaps they couldn't because of Microsoft, which is even much worse than Android on these points...