View Single Post
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
frankly, I think you'd make a much better candidate! ;-P
I think you should both run.

FWIW: I do plan to run for Board, in spite of everything that's happened. I still think it's important to have committed community members in HiFo and on Council, with the interests of the community being their core focus. Such members are needed more now than ever before.

To criticism that least one community member has leveled against me of late about my "tendency overrun others": I'll simply state that past events (recent and long ago) have shown the conspiracy that I will "do what I think is best despite what others/community feels" is simply false. I have never demanded to do things my way, nor do I hold up things based on my objecting to it, even when I know I'm right. Two key examples:

Recent (verifiable by any current admin member):
As a sub-admin, I found the rigid enforcement of some policies for the current servers to at times be counter-productive to getting stuff done. I do understand why these policies are in place though, and agree it's likely best for the community to have such policies in the long run. (And I hope said measures and watchdogs remain in place.) As a Director, I could have sought to pull rank and override those rules. I instead voiced my opinion on the topic, but continued to work within the bounds set, and encouraged others to do the same for the betterment of the community.

Past (verifiable by past Council & searching public archives here):
When I was Council, I disliked the idea of current Council being in the running and in the selection process for Community Awards. I felt that those that had merit and desire to stand (at least 2 did, IMHO) should bow out of the selection process. I objected to the practice, and stood by my conviction by not entering my name into the CA. But I did not hold the process hostage, demand others do as I thought was right, nor "overrun" others. The majority voted to move ahead, and there seemed to be no vocal criticism of it from the community when asked at the time. (And it was asked before hand, several times, via mailing lists, blog posts, meeting minutes, and TMO posts.) If I were ever to "do what I though was right, in spite of others opinions", that would have been a prime time to do so, no?

I invite those considering me as a candidate to reflect on my past actions and deeds, and decide for themselves if I'm proper material for Board. I will note that if I do not win a seat via election I will step down, but will continue to offer my skills in any capacity that is of use to the community. Including as an administrator, or consultant to the Board or Council, as I did for the current Council and Board in the last term.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post: