View Single Post
Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
Originally Posted by RogerS View Post
have some computer smarts, but sometimes I’m baffled by the Nokia Internet Tablet.

Why is Linux made so hard?

Which leads me to my next question:

Might as well ask the real puzzler here:

Why can’t OS2008 et al just let you be root when you need to?

If us unsophisticates need so much protection against our careless actions, shouldn’t we be wearing goalie gloves when we handle scissors? Why isn’t there just a switch that says, “It’s OK. I’ll take the consequences. Just please let me make a directory or use apt-get without having to acquire developer-class knowledge.”
To protect the rest of the world from people who think they have a lot more knowledge than they do!

Another question you didn't ask. Why is there so much spam and so many viruses in the world. Answer: because microsoft thought that people didn't need protection against their actions.
And they were wrong.

Sure thing if you want to hurt yourself, but I have to put in effort to read my mail because of all the other people that shouldn't have been allowed to have full access to a computer.

Why can’t the application memory be extended to one of the memory cards?
because memory cards are much slower than memory that you are using to run stuff.

Yeah, there are more things I don’t understand about my tablet’s design. Just getting the answers to Why not a model with a keyboard?
The 810 has a keyboard.

and How can you call it an internet tablet without handling Flash and YouTube?
Because they are one very small part of the internet that don't matter to a lot of people?

On the other hand, it’s your turn. What behavior or aspect of the Internet Tablet makes no sense at all to you?
Just the 'why didn't they make an operating system designed to run a small keyboardless portable device with limited memory and smallish screen'.