View Single Post
Posts: 60 | Thanked: 198 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Radical Realistic Open Source with JFDI instead of Bikeshedding
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
But please, can some of you guys throw a little light on what is your exact problem with continuing Maemo development (from not so great developers, just ordinary monkeys like me) until that future happens.
My (personal) opinion is that it's a waste of time to do any big effort as everyone will be heading towards some time where they'd have to redistribute full images/firmwares or will hit a wall related to the 57% closed source bits in Maemo.

Instead of trying to fix that past, how about getting ahead in the game instead of constantly being behind? My own reasoning is that I've seen a lot of these kind of projects to fix a company's firmware and they've all ended similar ways. And now we have a good chance to finally be ahead in the game in a open source way and have something of our own.

I'm not saying that CSSU is a bad idea, for good measure. CSSU has purposes, but will hit the closed binaries wall eventually as most fixes people want are in, well, the closed software.

Almost every time someone related to Meego CE(team?) opens his mouth, the mantra "you are wasting your time, you stupid" is thrown. Apocalyptic threads like "n900 is dead, Maemo is dead" are opened every now and then from people who moved from Maemo to who knows where(Meego?). Why is that?
Never said N900 is dead In fact, it might be one of the best supported by open software that I've seen.

Something stinks here, really. I didn't see anyone from HW adaptation team (the guys that are paid by Nokia) to contribute a line of code in the last few months for kernel-power or CSSU for example even though I suspect all of them are still using Maemo as their primary OS(or I am missing something?). And they have lots of closed Maemo bits revealed. Why?
I can't speak to other people's motivation, but sometimes, when people go home from work they don't work on the same thing they do while working. Or they would rather spend it on the project they're working on because they find it exciting.

We did contribute kexec patches ages ago. uboot stems from the adaptation work. Noone stops anyone from contributing with knowledge.

If you want an exact reason why you're not seeing any activity into Maemo, it's simple, it's because those activities aren't financed by Nokia. This usually means Nokia doesn't see reason to.

They however see good reason in furthering open systems with Qt and not beating a dead horse, it seems like...

However, just to reach out: If there's any technical questions, people are more than welcome to come to #meego-arm IRC channel on irc.freenode.net and ask questions. For many things we can advise.

Last edited by tekki; 2011-08-31 at 06:56.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tekki For This Useful Post: