View Single Post
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Happy New Year to the board. Wish you all well, etc.

In the meanwhile may we change a little bit the subject from "money and Jolla" to "what is going on with the migration".

From letters flying over the mailing lists, posts on TMO, IRC chat, etc, what I understood so far is:

1. Board is out of touch with Nokia - it is unclear who and when will change DNS records to point to the new servers. That prevents Nemein from switching to "community owned" servers and keeps all the infra (wiki, autobuilder, etc) in a "frozen" state.
Board has been in touch with Nokia. The two Nokia contacts have been out for the holidays and their email auto-reply says they won't be back until Jan 7. Not much we can do about that. Nemein was authorized by Nokia in late November to order servers for Hildon Foundation. For whatever reason, Nemein doesn't have them installed yet. You should contact Maemo Council for technical details of migration of the maemo.org infrastructure. Please be patient as they are not experts like Niels was.

2. It is unclear (to me at least) what Maemo/Harmattan repos and when will be available for distribution by HF/Maemo community. The same for SDK images, firmware images, the rest. The status of negotiations is also unclear.
Nokia wants to only transfer maemo, not Harmattan (remember that when N9 was released, Nokia decided to not have it as part of maemo.org). We have asked Nokia to reconsider and to include Harmattan. Currently waiting for Nokia.

They sent us an agreement. We marked it up and sent it back. It is our understanding that someone contacted Stephen Elop directly about maemo, and an executive responded on his behalf. The next agreement we got back after that was less favorable in some respects than the first two. In particular, software development and distribution tools have become an issue. Currently, waiting for Nokia to sort this out. I don't want to say much more because it is a hard negotiation.

3. It is not clear who will administer and/or have access to autobuilder and repos. Offline mode (we're in now) of backup servers could be used to setup user accounts/groups/whatever of the community members who'll take over that task from Nemein once migration is done.
That is to be decided by Maemo Council, with approval and oversight by the Board.

4. Jolla (again) - frankly, I don't get board's fixation on Jolla, but it could be just me. Can someone enlighten the community what is negotiated with them so far (if anything). Are there any contracts signed between the board and Jolla?
The Community had the interest we thought. Personally, I haven't seen enough yet to be persuaded that the Jolla phone is going to be more open than N900 or N9. But we'll see. Nothing has been negotiated and no contracts have been signed. Speaking just for myself, I am aware of how Nokia said that maemo was open, and it mostly was, but there were enough closed source components to make hard to continue. Back then, we had no choice, but now we do. I want to avoid getting fooled again with Jolla in the same way. Haven't seen any open code yet except all the good stuff that is in Mer and Nemo.

I would appreciate if this could be continued on the mailing list if you have more questions so that I can be sure to see them.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post: