View Single Post
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
I understand there needs to be something like applying to become an active member. It just feels to me the same as that you need to collect the stamps to have one free coffee and even though you have been drinking there coffee for years you will not get a free coffee without stamps and some other can get a free coffee in a week if collecting stamps. I like the old school way on this: you get to know a regular customer and you reward him with a free coffee occasionally.
The Maemo members structure is two-tiered, and that is because of legal requirements to be registered as an association.
(remember, we have and own both social constructs like bank account, trademark, domain name and also tangible hardware things like servers.)

Community members can enjoy the benefits of the association without certain rights reserved for full members.

It is required by laws for registered associations to have certain requirements for members, and thus it is impossible just to admit everyone based on nickname. The member roster is an official register that complies with GDPR.

Membership is granted by application basis, and the requirements really are not that extreme (filling in form, mailing it to the Board and generally having good reputation in the community)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: