View Single Post
Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
usually this is badly configured wifi AP which doesnt offer dns server for the phone, so host resolver fails. Or wifi nat behind other wifi nat (also causes problems).
I agree with this. I was looking solution to this problem too, and you are right: apt-get update was indicating name server problems.

I had AutoDNS option enabled in my router, just for convenience and being lazy to change DNS addresses router offers to devices any time I need to switch network/move/etc. After reading this I tried to force router to assign static DNS names to DHCP clients by disabling AutoDNS feature and defining my DNS addresses. After DHCP update in N9 everything worked correctly.

Router documentation suggests use of static DNS addresses, as otherwise it assigns its own IP as DNS to DHCP clients. I have hypothesis that maybe adding NAT rule to DNS port in router, it might forward DNS queries to DNS addresses it has been assigned for. This resolution could have redundancy issues, as router will probably forward DNS queries to first address in its DNS list. If I have enough time I will try this resolution.

Last edited by jyrgen; 2012-06-16 at 08:45.