Thread: Decibel Meter ?
View Single Post
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I have been tinkering with VU meter and produced something to share with you. Please be gentle on me, this was my first ever Maemo app and a learning project to get more familiar with both PulseAudio and Qt, so there may be bugs. I have yet to learn how to package it into a nice .deb and more still about how the garage works so I could make it available through the repos. In the meantime, you will have to install the Wonko's original VU meter and then overwrite the binary in /opt/maemo/urs/bin/vumeter with the unpacked contents of the attached .zip. Fremantle only.

Changes:
  • Added a stereo operation (only applicable in Bluetooth and Monitor mode, not Microphone).
  • The above required some UI layout changes and as a result, tapping on the screen no longer switches the meter mode (that is now done by a combo box), but flip-flops between a full-screen and normal mode. In full-screen mode, only the menu bar and meters are shown, but no info and buttons at the bottom.
  • Added displaying the lowest in addition to the highest sound level.
  • Added an option to trigger when the sound level drops below a certain limit and a few more related trigger options. For example, you can choose if you want to trigger high first, low first or in any order, which stereo channel is used for the trigger etc.
  • Removed some size restrictions resulting in a better use of the screen real estate.
  • Eliminated floating point calculations from the code with the exception of converting from linear to logarithmic (dB) scale.
  • Eliminated the strange 30dB baseline. A quiet room in a suburbia at night now measures at about 20-25dB. Not sure if it is correct though.

Known issues:
  • Smoothing (interpolation) has no effect. As far as I could figure out, it did not have any effect in the original either but I may have gotten it wrong. I am working on a fix.
  • I have not tested the portrait mode at all.
  • Adding new trigger config option mean the old config is not compatible. It will get automatically upgraded on start-up but not downgraded once you decide you prefer the original after all.

Please have a go and report any errors in this thread.

Now for the obligatory screenshots. I have no idea why they show at different sizes, they were all scaled down to 600x360 before uploading. I blame the TMO uploader.

Name:  Screenshot-20140306-145711.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  20.5 KB
Name:  Screenshot-20140306-145728.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  18.9 KB
Name:  Screenshot-20140306-150838.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  22.3 KB
Name:  Screenshot-20140306-145838.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  21.3 KB
Attached Files
File Type: zip vumeter.zip (62.2 KB, 122 views)

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: