View Single Post
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
Pali,

I just remembered that I had one question when I first read this:

Would it be possible to build a kernel without the twl4030_wdt module? (neither built-in nor as a module).

Would this mean that the HW watchdog would just do nothing, or would it still reboot the machine because nobody's talking to it?

For safety reasons I now run my N900s always with R&D mode enabled, so this is not really a problem, but it would be nice if the kernel would disable (or "not enable") the watchdog in any case.

(Obviously I'm not requesting this be implemented in kernel-power, because there will be people who for some reason want the watchdog enabled, but I just want to know if you know what happens when you remove -- completely --the module from the kernel).
If watchdog is enabled, you must disable it or periodically reset timeout. Otherwise, it reboot device.

If R&D mode is disabled NOLO enable watchdog (and system must take care about it).

When twl4030_wdt is compiled as module and is not loaded - it is same situation as kernel with disabled module.

But there is way how to disable watchdog. Need to load twl4030_wdt module with param nowayout=0 and then change timeout to 0.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post: