View Single Post
Originally Posted by ryu1 View Post
OK. Time to clear this sim swap mistery.<snip>
Thanks a lot for testing this, it was some very useful info! The only thing I *wasn't* surprised about was the fact that you can answer/talk without SIM card inserted - actually, it's "trick" known to most people that, as a kids, tried to "modify" old "brick" sized mobile phones, thinking that it would allow free calling

In fact, I'm more surprised/excited by the fact, that device instantly recognizes requirement to enter new PIN - it means, that N900 is more friendly to hotswap SIM mods, than initially thought. Generally, I'm not the fan of common saying "it was impossible, but then a guy who doesn't know that it is impossible came, and did it", but it seems exactly the case, here.

But first, we need to think about solution for:

Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
swapping SIM without applying proper procedure is as critical as removing uSD without unmounting and powering down the adapter. You later or sooner will damage your SIM by doing it, the latest when you remove it during a page-erase of the flash storage.j
I wonder, if applying the same procedures (on N900's side) as peterleinchen incorporated into his scripts for dual-sim adapters handling, would make it safe? I know that dual SIM adapters - even if used only in 007 mode - are not exactly the same thing, but device isn't aware of them, and sim-switcher scripts require to shut down everything SIM related before switch, anyway (then bring it up again, after command that forces adapter to switch circuity to 2nd SIM).

Summing it up, for the N900, it *seems* to be the same case - old SIM was present, new SIM is inserted, just "everything SIM" synced and shut down before. peterleinchen's swim-switcher is used quite widely, for a very long time, without even slightest reports of any damage to SIMs (no unconfirmed suspicious, even).

Also, on a slightly different note, for years, I'm constantly swapping my microSD card in device with magnet glued to cover (so no almost-low level hardware disabling of microSD). I just unmount partition/disable swap there (of course waiting, till operation ends and sync), and do physical removal - after inserting another card, I reverse operation. No problems with microSD, whatsoever - filesystem is healthy from high to low levels, after hundreds/more than thousand of such operations.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: