View Single Post
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
I just see a paradox in your argumentation, when you say we have not enough developers (despite we already gained new ones thanks to FPTF) and same post you suggest to replace as many closed bits as possible by rewritten FOSS. I also don't see how FPTF is legally linked to Neo900 and GolDeliCo, so whom to send that C&D to? Who/what is "the project"? The FPTF? I don't think they could stop us from doing what we plan to do. Neo900? Completely unrelated.
Again: GolDeliCo will not ship OS (at least not fremantle) on any Neo900
remember importing MS TrueType fonts into OpenOffice, anybody?
Please notice that I haven't mentioned GolDeliCo in any place of my post. The hardware will be open and there is no problem at all with it.

But a C&D notification could be send to any organization and/or individuals, and even if it's something that could be somehow surpassed, prosecution is not a joke and I can imagine that people involved in the porting task of Maemo would not like to have problems of that nature.

The same way that we do not encourage to distribute commercial applications in this forum.

So I think that, precisely because it would be better to try to avoid as much as possible any problems with Nokiasoft, it would be wise to substitute whatever is possible for FOSS replacements, without compromising existing functionality.

I don't really think that can be done in due time for the Neo900. It would even be impossible to have a 100% free system, but the less closed components, the better.

However, as you already mentioned, such an effort would be really difficult to accomplish with such low amount of resources.

That's why I propose to avoid splitting development between CSSU (maintenance of N900) and porting to Neo900, now that it has barely started. Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my previous post on this respect.

It would be better to keep just one single direction of development for the, now upstream, "Freemantle" OS, even if that means that CSSU cannot achieve 100% compatibility with existing applications, substitute closed source applications for open replacements or increase the development pace, even if that increase the risk of instability.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post: