View Single Post
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
How do you think with the boarder-less screen? Like the latest Samsung or iPhone 10 etc... Like the majority touch surface is the screen (on top of a keyboard, of course)

I personally against it for 2 reasons: 1. Vulnerable to a drop. You are guaranteed to break something on a drop to the ground... 2. Might make edge swipe more difficult. I'm not sure on this point as I never tried swipe OS on such screen, but a little bit of bezel will make the experience better IMHO
I got the chance to borrow a friend's S8 which has both borderless screen and curved display (that's what we call 2.5D I think ?).

Edge swipes are working great on it !

When holding the phone, my fingers tip where not above the screen (just resting on the edge, but that may depend on phone/hand size ratio), but on the opposite side, I had the base of the thumb (metacarpal part) partially covering the screen edge.
There must by some hardware or software mitigation for that, like palm detection on touchpads on laptops, because even with that, i could trigger easily edge swipes with the thumb from extreme edge of the screen.

Having the 2.5D screen in this case helps I think, as the thumb is always on the screen when triggering the edge swipe and not switching from the case to the screen, with feels a bit less comfortable.

Don't take this post as a will to have a border less screen, only a feedback that it could actually work quite good. Depending on the price and availability or your options, that kind of solution shouldn't be put away against usability issue fear.

And I too would be happy with a 1080p screen. Even the Jolla 1's resolution. Quality is more important than pixel count to me. In that regard AMOLED would be a must, but not sure it could be available...

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post: