View Single Post
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 359 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Software is where it is at.That's what Jolla need to be better placed than the competition. Hardware is pretty much a commodity unless you've a niche to fill like cameras (Nokia), waterproof ness (Sony)
I agree on this point. Some premium is OK for software features you are keen on having, but other than that, the harware is pretty much standardized.

Originally Posted by aegis View Post
I hope Sailfish 2.0 isn't just Sailfish 1.1 Tablet Edition (beta) with "monthly" drops of whatever comes out of the agile development process but never quite fixes the big bugs or adds new features.

Early days with Ubuntu of course but they appear to have spent some time getting to their first release.
Sailfish 2.0 will pretty much be Sailfish 1.1 Tablet edition. There seem to be a few nice things coming our way, but I do not expect miracles in three months. They may keep some feature behind curtains for a bigger splash release, but I doubt they will amount to more than a few nice new features.

The January release was actually quite important, under the hood, so user level features will be coming eventually, but there are limits to what a team of 100 can do.

They are giving us (fairly) regular releases, that improve the software slowly but steadily, most of the time. Kind of like open source development.

I would like to see improvements as well, but we cannot expect miracles.

Jolla should actually focus on infrastructure, more than applications, and document it so third parties can provide user level features.

For infrastructure, I mean

* sharing services APIs
* text to speech
* voice recognition
* account registry
* file indexing
* location and positioning
* and more stuff like that

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mikelima For This Useful Post: