View Single Post
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Ok, I'll bite. I started a thread about the Maemo.org logo in 'Off-topic' because I considered it was frivolous, and experience here has taught me that frivolous is unwelcome.

I considered briefly starting the thread in this forum, but rejected the idea. I am unsure whether Reggie's wizzy magic is in place to direct all threads here to the mailing list, but when I thought about a thread discussing my idea of knitting garments with the maemo.org logo on arriving on the mailing list... well, it was enough to make me decide against it. Indeed, almost enough to prevent me posting it at all.

To follow through on the 'Office v pub' analogy, I have never heard the staff of an office referred to as a 'community', though the regulars at a pub might well be. And I spend enough of my day being Serious at work (in and out of offices) to feel that if t.m.o. were to become 'all work and no play', I'd probably want to come here a lot less. (No cheering, please!)

When I first came here, there were fun threads all over the place. Now even Off Topic is stuffed up with serious thread (like the Nokia stock market threads, for example). Does taking FOSS seriously mean we also have to be boring about it?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post: