View Single Post
Originally Posted by jnwi View Post
Nice timing, I submitted a calculator app to QA a few days ago. I'll update this post when it's available (it should appear as "Ala Advanced Calculator").

It's a command line-style calculator, but it also keeps the function count so low that the buttons aren't horrible to use. (Square root is a waste of space, btw, because it's the same thing as ^0.5)
This looks nice. Any chance of an RPN version? I use an HP12C on my desk, find it hard to adapt back to "normal" calculators, but I hate all the 12C clones on the small screen... My favourite calc is probably the OSX "scientific" mode in RPN. It's a simple numbers, couple of functions, with a 4 deep visible stack all the time (I dislike my 12C in that I can't see the stack).

I use 1/x very often in RPN - the whole point with RPN is that you just stick in a bunch of numbers and then think about the operators later (you don't need brackets).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ca...hot_MacOSX.png

I'm not sure if I understand your interface description. Seems like just like typing text, you would press shift/swipe and the "keyboard" changes to a completely different set of buttons, ie numbers -> functions. So for example, taking the OSX screenshot above, it's two groups of 4 buttons wide. The number keypad is group 1, the functions are group 2. This seems to allow you enough room to have sqrt without clutter? (however, bad example, I agree ^0.5 is fine)

Desperate for a nice calculator - good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to the_Wildgoose For This Useful Post: