View Single Post
Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
I thought I was alone in the non-spring loaded observation. Glad my N800 has the same external SD socket as the rest of you. For some time now I was afraid I had a defective SD eject spring.

I have a 2 gig micro SD in an adapter sleeve. This is the worst scenario because the micro card comes out alone, leaving the adapter sleeve behind in the N800. This is not what you may want to happen (it isn't what I want). General Antilly must not have a microSD in his N8xx or he would share our frustration.

It isn't the end of the World however.......use tweezers or small needle nose pliers to grab the microSD adapter to get it out.

I have placed an adhesive paper sticker (like a flag) on the microSD in my N800, and trimmed the paper to as small as I can while still allowing me to grab it (pinch it) with my fingers to extract the card without tweezers or pliers. The sticker stays on the microSD adapter all the time, I fold it to get the door shut on the ext. slot.

Most other PDA's have spring loaded SD slot sockets that "toggle eject". I'm assuming there was an issue inside the N800 that caused Nokia engineers to not use such a spring loaded mechanism. I'll go with that theory, and trust that Nokia did what was best.

The paper sticker solution works. The first one I used was from a self adhesive postal stamp, I later went to something that had better (more sticky) glue. POST-IT Notes (R) are not good because the glue it way too weak.

If you don't like the paper sticker/flag idea, and you have something like a Dremel tool, you could put a tiny groove on the adapter where your nail could grab on. Aside from this, you must use tweezers or very pointy (small) needle nose.

M5
Attached Images

Last edited by xxM5xx; 2007-12-29 at 21:49.