View Single Post
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
By opening this thread and supporting it with your post in the Pyra thread, you have turned what was a personal feud with Jörg into a public attack on the Neo900 project.

[EDIT]
The referenced post in the Pyra thread has since been censored by a moderator thus altering the sentiment of my point above!

OT: Do we really need censorship on TMO? I may not agree with what Estel had to say but I will defend his right to say it.
[/EDIT]

Regarding 100% openness, there are various definitions of open. The FSF who you keep referring to, use the word "free" instead of "open" as "open" doesn't necessarily give you freedom. Jörg qualified what he meant by "open" in the same sentence you have referenced, only you appear to have intentionally omitted the critical part of the sentence in your quotation that explains exactly what he meant. Here's the sentence in full:

Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Plus the whole device is 100% open, you get all the schematics and links to all the datasheets of the 'free' chips that are used. *), we don't work behind walls.
and here's the starred reference that adds further clarification:

Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
*)what we we possibly will hand out later on only are the Eagle project files to feed the fab with. We won't hand out the "shopping list" with all the commercial contacts. What's also not available are docs about the powervr graphics core, but device works without using that core. We don't have access to any modem firmware sourcecode or sources for other subsystem firmwares.
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
current project leader, Joerg Reisenweber. Now, thats "understatement of the year", especially, considering that - from my personal point of view - Joerg's inability to agree on passing leadership to party developing Neo900 hardware (Golden Delicious Computers) is the reason for all this mess.
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
I'm starting to think, that creative OpenPandora guys (with all the momentum around software for it, too) are more trustworthy than Neo900, with it's unstable and irresponsible new "leader".
Jörg always has been project leader. The Neo900 project only exists because he envisioned the idea brought together the people to make it possible. AIUI, Nikolaus has always supported this and the only problem is that the the project leader must make the financial relevant decisions which meant that Neo900 UG had to be set up. All parties involved have already apologised for "all this mess". If you can't accept their apologies, no problem, but please refrain from trying to destroy this small community project.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Last edited by wicket; 2014-05-20 at 08:05. Reason: Clarification due to censorship of referenced post.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post: