View Single Post
Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by menotii View Post
Hi all,
I just want to share my experience when using my N900 as modem, here are some facts that I found so far :
1. I have to upgrade or install my PC suite sw to version 7.1.40.1 to enable pc suite detecting N900
2. However, in my case, I can pair bluetooth connection but I can not establish internet connection over Bluetooth using PC suite.
3. I change the connection by using the cable, first I plug the usb cable into one of the usb port on my laptop which later from the windows connection icon the speed is detected as 460 Kbps. Yes, I can establish internet internet connection using cable connection over this usb port on my laptop. But wait, it is not stable, after 2 - 3 minutes, myN900 reboots and keep rebooting after that every 2-5 minutes. So :
4. Still using cable connection, I change the usb port on my laptop side which is later on detected as 115.2 kbps of speed. And yes, it is very stable...N900 doesn't reboot (as least for 2 hours of my trial). And when I check the speed using speedtest.net, it is 1.2 Mbps of downloading.

So, conclusion so far :
1. Nope, you can not establish internet connection using PC suite (version 7.1.40.1) over bluetooth. Maybe you can do it manually by creating bluetooth modem and put *99# as the dialling digit.
2. When establishing USB modem using USB2 port on your laptop, the internet session can be established but N900 keep restarting.
3. Yup, finally if you want to use it as a modem you have to use your USB1 type of port on your pc / laptop. It will not trigger your N900 to reboot.

However, please do not swallow my conclusion, yet I still have questions to ask :
1. Is it true that the USB port of my laptop which is later on detected having 460 kbps of speed can be considered as USBv2 port ? and vice versa for the other USB port which is detected having 115.2 kbps ?
2. When I use my "115.2 kbps" usb port, it is very stable. But why I can reach 1.2 Mbps of speed (using speedtest.net) if I only have 115.2 kbps of USB connection ?
3. Will I damage my N900 if I use it as a modem using this USB cable connection in a long run ? Is there any option to switch off the charging during this "modem mode" ? I can see from my other E75, it will be switch off the charging automatically everytime the battery is full and will start again after a while when i reaches certain threshold

Please kindly advice me

Regards

menot
Hi Menot, This has been discussed a few times on the forums, and i would suggest you search for the words N900 and tether in the search function.
I'm not an expert, but from a quick read it looks like it's not supported out of the box so to speak. 2 possible options are:
  1. A script to help you do it
  2. An app being designed to help you do it.